2019: WHERE THE MONEY GOES
Guided by our mission, and advised by a multidisciplinary team of experts, the ABTA is dedicated to funding research that has the potential to change the lives of people affected by brain tumors. We also aim to “seed the field” with promising up-and-coming researchers in the brain tumor space.
- The ABTA awarded $1.115 million in grants to 18 new projects
- $200,000 funded 1 Research Collaboration Grant
- $600,000 funded 6 Basic Research Fellowships
- $300,000 funded 6 Discovery Grants
- $15,000 funded 5 Medical Student Summer Fellowship Grants
- These grants funded projects spanning across multiple tumor types:
- Anaplastic oligodendroglioma, Chordoma, Choroid plexus carcinoma, Diffuse intrinsic pontine glioma, Glioblastoma, Low grade gliomas, Malignant gliomas, Medulloblastoma, Metastatic Tumors
- Research areas of focus:
- Apoptosis/Cell Death, Biomarkers, Cell Cycle, Cell Signaling, Cellular Differentiation or Transformation, Drug Therapies/Experimental Therapeutics, Genetics, Immunotherapy/Immunology, Invasion/motility, Neuropathology/Classification Systems, Stem Cells
2019: CURRENTLY FUNDED RESEARCHERS
Research Collaboration Grant
The ABTA Research Collaboration Grant is a two-year grant that supports a multi-PI, multidisciplinary project that can accelerate advances in the understanding and treatment of brain tumors through collaborative team science.
Justin Lathia, PhD
Anders Persson, PhD
Basic Research Fellowship
The ABTA Basic Research Fellowship is a two-year mentored grant supporting postdoctoral fellows who are conducting laboratory or field-based research projects that focus on brain tumors.
Javier Ganz, PhD
Maria Garcia Fabiani, PhD
Albert Kim, MD
Thi Thu Trang Nguyen, PhD
Jan Remsik, PharmD, PhD
Anh Tran, PhD
The ABTA Discovery Grant is a one-year grant for high risk, high impact research with the potential to change current diagnostic or treatment models.
Yiping He, PhD
Wen Jiang, MD, PhD
Christine O’Connor, PhD
Min Tang-Schomer, PhD
Lee Wong, PhD
Zeng-jie Yang, MD, PhD
Medical Student Summer Fellowship
The ABTA Medical Student Summer Fellowship program is a 10-12 week mentor-focused summer program, intended to motivate talented medical students to pursue a career in neuro-oncology research.