It Goes Fast...

Printer Friendly

January 7, 2017 - Cincinnati, Ohio

In July of 2015, we were told that Paul had Glioblastoma Multiforme Grade 4... It was removed the next day... We were then told that he WILL get more tumors, but they would always be contained in / on the brain. He went on the pill of chemotherapy and also radiation treatments for close to a year. That Summer & Fall was great. But when it was time for him to stop the treatments, he was fine for about 3 weeks. Within those 3 weeks, everyone noticed that his health was going down hill. He went on a 3 mile walk almost everyday.. But soon had to stop. He had to use a walker and we would just walk on the sidewalk in front of our house. On Thanksgiving Day of 2016 ... I just thought to myself, " I can't let this go on... SOMETHING has to help him "... So we took him to U.C. Hospital in Cincinnati. We were there for a week. Nothing could be done. And Hospice became involved. ... When they asked him once what he wanted, he said " Home & Christmas ".. So we went home, and decorated for Christmas. He was already in a hospital bed in the family room that Hospice set up for him... And I had a twin bed on the other side of the Family Room so I could be with him. Every day his speaking ability was a little less. I think Hospice was with us for about week or so. Needless to say, My husband went to Heaven on Dec. 7th. 2016. Please don't believe it when a doctor tells you that tumors WILL NOT SPREAD or be contained within the brain. Paul's Glioblastoma got in his spinal fluid. His doctor said that she has only seen this happen once before. Yes, it's rare, but not impossible. THINGS TO WATCH FOR : Watch for a big difference in personality. He sometimes got angry or a little mean, but did not mean it. He would also repeat things and not realize it. (That was something he never did.) When they walk, always watch for their legs not to pick up. His legs would slowly get numb. Starting at the top of his legs. Watch to see how often they go to the bathroom. (When tumors got on his spine, he lost a of feeling below the belt.) His lower back would hurt a lot. His GAIT, when he would walk just wasn't normal. It was off. It kind of looked like a toddler learning to walk. Not quite steady. I'm sure there are other things, but I just can't think of them right now. I hope this helps someone. Love & Prayers, Susan