· Wada test A test used to determine the location of the speech center in the brain. Named for the neurologist John Wada.
· wafer implants During surgery, bio-degradable wafers soaked with a chemotherapy drug are placed into the cavity left by the tumor’s removal. Gliadel is the brand name of this wafer. Also called polymer wafer implants.
· watchful waiting Observation. The person’s condition is closely monitored but treatment does not begin unless symptoms appear or change.
· WBRT Whole Brain Radiation Therapy.
· Wernicke’s area An area of the temporal lobe involved in the understanding of verbal language. If damaged, the ability to comprehend spoken words is lost.
· white blood cells Cells that help the body fight infection and disease.
· white matter Brain tissue composed of myelin-coated nerve cell fibers. White matter carries information between the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. The inner portion of the cerebrum is composed of white matter.
· WHO World Health Organization. The author of the most widely used brain tumor classification system.
· WNL Within normal limits.