· U10 Grant The National Cancer Institute grant supporting a clinical cooperative group.
· UCR Usual, Customary and Reasonable. A term used by insurance companies when evaluating claims.
· ultrasonic aspirator A tool used to break tumors apart and then aspirate (suction out) the pieces. Ultrasonic waves cause vibration which fragments the tumor.
· ultrasound A study in which sound waves (called ultrasound) are bounced off tissues and the echoes are converted into a picture (sonogram). Can be used during an operation to help guide the surgeon.
· uncommon brain tumors With about 66,000 people diagnosed each year in the United States, all primary brain tumors are “uncommon.” But, some tumors are more rare than others because of their tissue type, or because the tumor developed at an atypical age, or because the tumor grew in an uncommon location.
· undifferentiated An immature, embryonic, or primitive cell. It has a nonspecific appearance with multiple nonspecific activities and functions poorly.
· unresectable Inoperable. Cannot be surgically removed.